Issues and renews driver’s license or state identification card. Office hours vary by location and appointments are available.

Driver's License Offices:                                   


100 S. Military Trail, #26

Deerfield Beach, FL 33442              

3718 W. Oakland Park Blvd.
Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33311

1135 Banks Rd.

Margate, FL 33063                             

15739 Pines Blvd.
Pembroke Pines, FL 33027
7217 W. Oakland Park Blvd.            
Lauderhill, FL 33313

8001 Pembroke Road

Pembroke Pines, FL 33025

Everyone requesting a driver's license or state identification card must show

an original or certified copy of their birth certificate or valid U.S. passport, social security card or computer generated W-2 or 1009 form, and two proof of address items such as voter’s registration, vehicle registration, utility bill (telephone, water, FPL, etc. or bank statement less than 2 months old), deed, rental/lease agreement, mail from federal, state, county or city government,
a letter from a homeless shelter or transitional housing provider verifying they receive your mail accompanied by a certification of address form.

For an initial driver's license, you will be required to take vision, hearing, road signs, road rules and driving tests.  For the driving test, you will need to have

a car and proof of insurance.  You may pick up a study booklet at any of the locations listed above.

Fees for License:

  • Original License - $48
  • Renewal - $48
  • Replacement - $25
  • Delinquent fee (late renewal) - $15 additional
  • ID Card (original, renewal, replacement) - $25

Birth / Marriage / Divorce Certificate

A copy of your birth certificate can be obtained by written request to the Bureau of Vital Statistics in the county where you were born. There is usually a fee for this service. To find the address and phone number of the Bureau of Vital Statistics in your birth county, look in your local library for the telephone directory of the city in which you were born or use an internet search. You can also dial 1, area code of birth county, and 555-1212 and ask for the Bureau of Vital Statistics.  You can also obtain Marriage & Divorce certificates in the same way by contacting the Bureau of Vital Statistics in the county in which you were married or divorced.

Social Security Card, 800-772-1213
To get a new, duplicate or name change social security card
Call or visit in person:

3201 W. Commercial Blvd                            
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309                              

8501 W. Sunrise Blvd., #100                         
Plantation, FL 33322

500 N. Hiatus Road
Pembroke Pines, FL 33026

5195 Coconut Creek Pkwy
Margate, FL 33063

You will need to bring Proof of:

U.S.citizenship such as birth certificate, passport or naturalization papers.

An identity that shows name, date of birth and preferably a photo such as a U.S. Driver’s License, U.S. Identification Card, or U.S. Passport. These documents must be currently valid and not expired.

Veteran’s benefits, consisting of monthly disability payments, healthcare, and various other benefits, are available to veterans of U.S. military service and their dependents.

Who is eligible?
Veterans with Active military service, who have an Honorable or Under Honorable Conditions discharge, and their beneficiaries may receive veteran’s benefits.

What benefits are provided?
The major benefits that may be available to veterans and their beneficiaries include health care (for veterans), such as CHAMPVA for Permanent and Total service-connected veterans’ spouses; life insurance; mortgage insurance; financial aid for education; vocational rehabilitation; counseling; burial benefits at national cemeteries; survivors’ benefits and death benefits for beneficiaries.

Disability payments are available to veterans whose disabilities were incurred or aggravated during their military service. The amount of the benefit depends upon the degree of the impairment and the number of dependents. Low-income wartime, disabled veterans may also apply for a pension, regardless of the disability’s connection to military service. Disabled veterans also may receive grants for adaptive modification of their homes and automobiles and assistance with other expenses. The benefits are administered by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs (VA).

How do I apply?
Contact the Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs (FDVA) at 850-487-1533.  You can also find them on the Internet at or your local County Veteran Service Office (CVSO). You can locate your CVSO in the “Blue Pages” of your phone book under “County Government” or on the FDVA Website. These offices can assist you with any application for veterans benefits. Counselors at this number can answer questions about benefits eligibility and application procedures.  They also make referrals to other VA facilities, such as medical centers and national cemeteries. These facilities also accept applications for benefits.

Contacts for Veteran's Information:

  • U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs,, 800-827-1000
  • VA Health Resource Center, (800-222-VETS) 800-222-8387
  • Broward County Veterans Services, 954-357-6622
  • Broward County VA Benefits Office, 954-475-5500
  • Miami VA Healthcare Center. 305-575-7520
  • National Center for PTSD,, 802-296-6300
  • Military OneSource, 800-342-9647

(user id: military; password: onesource)


Psychiatrists are physicians who have a medical degree (M.D.) or a degree in osteopathic medicine (D.O.) with a specialization in mental illness. They treat a wide range of emotional and behavioral disorders and may be working in hospitals, businesses, public agencies, private practice, etc. Psychiatrists are the only mental health professionals who can prescribe medication.

Psychologists have either a Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) or a Psy.D. (Doctor of Psychology) or an Ed.D. (Doctor of Education) from an accredited graduate or professional school. They diagnose and treat emotional and behavioral disorders in children, adolescents, and adults that range from mild to very severe.  Psychologists most often work in hospitals, businesses, public or private practice treatment centers or private practice.

Clinical Social Workers have a Master’s Degree (M.S.W.) from an accredited graduate school with a specialization in mental health services. They plan, organize and administer direct therapeutic services and intervene in individual, group, community and organizational systems. Clinical Social Workers often work in hospitals, social service agencies or private practice.

Marriage & Family Therapists have a Master’s Degree (M.A. or M.S. or M.Ed.) from an accredited graduate school with specialty coursework in marriage and family therapy. They treat stress that accompanies family milestones such as marriage, divorce, birth, death, etc., as well as other emotional and behavioral problems. Marriage & Family Therapists may be working in mental health clinics, public service agencies, businesses, hospitals or private practice.

Mental Health Counselors have a Master’s Degree (M.A. of M.S. of M.ED.) from an accredited graduate school with specialty coursework in mental health counseling. They treat individuals, families or groups including children, adolescents, and adults with a wide range of emotional and behavioral problems.  Mental Health Counselors often work in hospitals, schools, businesses, agencies or private practice.

School Psychologists have either a Doctoral Degree (Ph.D. or Psy.D. or ED.D.) or a Master’s Degree (M.A. or M.S. of M.ED.) from an accredited graduate school with the specialization in child development, learning and behavior disorders. They test, diagnose and assess cognitive abilities that relate to learning or behavioral problems and treat these problems in children and adolescents. School Psychologists often work in government agencies, public or private schools or private practice.

Certain classifications of nurses receive specialized training and are qualified to provide mental health care.

All licensed mental health professionals have completed a supervised internship prior to sitting for the State of Florida Licensure Exam to determine competency in their particular field. In addition, all must maintain active participation in ongoing Continuing Education to renew their license status. Effective mental health treatment is based on the unique relationship between client and therapist.  Although certain license classifications traditionally provide service to certain narrow populations, many services overlap license titles. An exception is the prescription of medication, which is restricted to the Psychiatrist (ME).

Registered Interns are unlicensed individuals working under the supervision of a licensed professional. Registered Interns are listed as ISW, IMT, IMH.

The State of Florida, Department of Health-Division of Medical Quality Assurance provides further information on licensure requirements.  Psychiatrist refers to persons licensed pursuant to chapter 458 or 459.  Psychologist, School Psychologist refer to persons licensed pursuant to chapter 490.
Clinical Social Worker, Marriage & Family Therapist, Mental Health Counselor refer to persons licensed pursuant to chapter 491.  Registered Nurse refers to persons licensed pursuant to chapter 464.

Helpful Resources:

Mental Health America -
National Council for Behavioral Health -

National Empowerment Center -
National Institute of Mental Health -
President's New Commission on Mental Health -
World Health Organization -

Making the Connection: Trauma and Substance Abuse
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Substance Abuse: Signs, Symptoms, and Treatment
How Service and Therapy Dogs are Helping PTSD Victims

Information on substance use. An open access web guide about alcohol and drug use, addiction, and recovery.


Broward Connections Guidebook